You will be asked to affirm that you’ve read the BFA Application guidelines when you apply; take some time to read through them carefully, as they contain all the information you need to put in an application that will progress. They also provide details on the portfolio and other parts of your application.
BFA Applications now open: submissions must be received by March 15, 2019.
You will need to fill out the form linked to from this page during the open application period, and upload three files (your cover letter and two samples of writing in two distinct genres).
Below is a checklist of what you will need to answer on the form: for external applicants, you must have applied to UBC for admission separately prior to making your application for the Creative Writing Major – you will receive a student number when you apply.
On the form, you will need:
- To positively affirm that you have read and understood the guidelines
- To supply your UBC student number and legal name as it appears on UBC records (you will also be able to indicate your preferred name if this differs from your legal name)
- To indicate how many course credits you will have completed by mid-May (54 required) of the application year
- To answer whether you already have a bachelor’s degree and if yes, from which institution and in which subject
- To affirm that you have completed the pre-requisite 200-level Creative Writing course or equivalent, stating the course number and institution where the course was completed
- If unable to affirm the above re CRWR 200, to indicate that you are registered or planning to complete this pre-requisite before the program start, and/or (for transferring or second-degree students) that the institution you attended did and does not offer an equivalent
- To indicate whether you intend to pursue a double Major, and if yes, in which subject.
- To indicate which two genres have been included in the writing sample and which further genres you intend to study if accepted.