You will be asked to affirm that you’ve read the BFA Application guidelines when you apply; take some time to read through them carefully, as they contain all the information you need to put in an application that will progress. They also provide details on the portfolio and other parts of your application.
Please note that faculty will not review and provide feedback on a portfolio prior to application submission.
Important note for non-UBC applicants: applicants who are not currently UBC students must apply to the university prior to applying to the BFA CRWR major program. Please see the Enrolment Services – Admissions website for information on the UBC application process and requirements, and note that the deadline for the university application is January 15, 2023.
As part of the online application form, you will upload ONE document in MS Word or PDF format. This document must contain all of your submission materials (clearly labeled) in the following order: Personal Statement, Primary Genre, Secondary Genre.
Below is a checklist of what you will need to answer on the form: for external applicants, you must have applied to UBC for admission separately prior to making your application for the Creative Writing Major – you will receive a student number when you apply.
On the form, you will need:
- To positively affirm that you have read and understood the guidelines
- To provide your UBC student number and legal name as it appears on UBC records (you will also be able to indicate your preferred name if this differs from your legal name)
- To indicate how many course credits you will have completed by mid-May (54 required) of the application year
- To answer whether you already have a bachelor’s degree and if yes, from which institution and in which subject
- To affirm that you have completed the pre-requisite 200-level Creative Writing course or equivalent, stating the course number and institution where the course was completed
- If unable to affirm the above re CRWR 200, to indicate that you are registered or planning to complete this pre-requisite before the program start, and/or (for transferring or second-degree students) that the institution you attended did and does not offer an equivalent
- To indicate whether you intend to pursue a double Major, and if yes, in which subject.
- To indicate which two genres have been included in the writing sample and which further genres you intend to study if accepted.
- To confirm that you have removed your name and any identifying details from all application materials