The Geoffrey & Margaret Andrew Fellowship in Creative & Performing Arts

The Creative Writing Program at the University of British Columbia invites applications from promising emerging Indigenous writers from Canada for the Geoffrey and Margaret Andrew Fellowship in Creative and Performing Arts.  The award, which fosters greater respect and understanding for culture and education within Canada and internationally, rotates among creative and performing arts units to advance the career of an artist from a developing country or one who identifies as Indigenous. In 2017-18, the Creative Writing Program is prioritizing the latter.

The one-month fellowship includes travel to Vancouver between January-April 2018, accommodation at UBC, and a $5000 award. About 70% of the fellow’s time will be devoted to working on his/her/their projects and the remaining 30% to classroom and community engagement. Eligible candidates may work in a range of literary genres: oral storytelling, poetry, fiction, nonfiction, playwriting, screenwriting, comics, digital forms are all welcome. The ideal candidate will be in the early stages of his/her/their career.

The selection committee comprises principally Indigenous membership: an Indigenous faculty member, two Indigenous Creative Writing graduate students, and two Creative Writing faculty members.

To apply, please upload a CV and a brief (500-word) statement using the form below by June 26, 2017. The statement should address your past work, a project description, how the fellowship will support your work  and how your work is informed by/contributes to your community/communities.  A work sample may be requested later. No references are required.

Please contact Ian Williams, Asst. Prof., UBC Creative Writing Program for further information:  iwilli01@mail.ubc.ca


Andrews Fellowship Application

  • Accepted file types: doc, docx, pdf, rtf.
    Please upload your CV as a single file in Word or PDF format.
  • 500 words, maximum. The statement should address your past work, a project description, and how the fellowship will support your work. Word, RTF or PDF files only.